Friday, January 20, 2012

13 miles, and all before work!

Hello Dear Reader,

Yesterday, whilst at work, my fun running buddy sent me an sms asking how I was and what I was up to. At that very moment, I was thinking of how in need I was for a "life care" activity. You may be asking what, exactly, that is. You know when you just need to take time for yourself? There's an urge from within reminding you that you are in need of a little boost, or that you need to pull all of the loose pieces together and put yourself back together? That's the catalyst for a "life care" activity. The actual activity can be anything that you make of it...for instance, you could take an unexpected weekend trip with a good friend to a town 2 hours away because there's a cute little pizzeria with the best pepperoni pizza this side of Bloemfontein. (like you've never done that before!) On other occasions, my life care activity is watching the entire season of "Parks and Recreation" with a side of apple pie. Yesterday, however, I needed a healthy, get fit kind of "life care" activity in my life. You see, when I was in the US, I binged on ever sweat and savory item I could get my hands on. I would not be ashamed to eat a large meal when I was still pretty full from the previous one, and still manage to throw in a midnight snack. As a (expected) result, my pants fit a little too snug and I feel things shimmy and shaking that weren't there before.

As I've mentioned in a previous post, I'm engaged and said "Yes to the dress" during my holiday trip home. In addition to that, my Ethiopian will be here in a little less than a month, and want to look my best, and when he complements me, I'll coyly say, "Who, me? You silly sailor, you!" Ok, maybe not like that, but you get the point. I have more than one reason to get it right, get it tight (also that it's just the right thing to do...to be healthy for the sake of being healthy.) Going back to the second reason, I'd like to add that the dress is non-refundable...so...yeah...

Getting back to the story (I'm getting a little long winded, I see!), my running buddy asked if he could join. I told him that I was leaving at 4:30 am and planned to run 13 miles. Seriously though, I haven't run much at all. Very sad, but very true. The holidays and just plain lazy are to blame. No, I don't know why I just randomly set the goal to run a half marathon before work, but I did it and that's what I was set on doing.

...then...last night happened...along with a couple of adult beverages and not sleeping until 12 am. Thank goodness (or curse) the 4am sms message from my friend woke me up and reminded me of my goal. As my buddy was stretching, I added the disclaimer that, "Technically, I still may be a little intoxicated." He laughed, I tried to get my contacts to settle, we both set our watches, and hit the pavement.

For the first 5km, i cursed myself for putting myself though this run, and subsequently outpaced my friend. By the 4th mile, I lost my buddy. By mile 5, I was in a groove and hoped that my friend would be spotted soon (which never happened). I kept running...and running...and stopped for 2 bottles of very cold water...and kept running...and running, until I was back again at the entrance of my neighborhood. And as if on cue, my buddy pulled up in his car on his way home. He: 11 miles. Me: 13 miles. What? I can't believe I did it...and all in just under 2 hours! Awesome!

Lessons learned: 1) you can do anything you set your mind to; 2) my running route is the business; and 3) I've still got it! Yes!

Well, until next time...put one foot in front of the other...and keep it movin'!

Yours in (get it right, get it tight) training,

Dani

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails