Saturday, September 18, 2010

All of that and then some!

Hello Dear Reader,

Every time I will myself to conquer the fear of failure or overcome a challenge previously labeled "too difficult", I am propelled closer and closer to the woman I want to be...a woman who lives by the belief that all things are possible. Who knew that something seemingly so simple as running is helping me do that?!

Yesterday, I had a very motivating run! As I mentioned in the previous post, I'm not exactly sure how long I ran, because my program was reset after accidentally hitting the emergency stop button. Although today (Saturday) is generally reserved for my "off day", I felt so inclined to see what I could do...could I really run 7k in 50 minutes? This morning, I took my time getting out of bed (8:30-ish), threw some workout clothes on and got to the gym at around 9:00 am.

The treadmill was set for 5 minutes (warm-up). Check. After a nice warm-up, I chose a random song in the middle of my "Couch to 5k" playlist, selected the interval program with no less than a 1.0 incline, and set the timer for 50 minutes and a pace setting of 8.9. Initially, I started feeling a bit tired around 20 minutes, but almost immediately after that, something came over me and I kept going...and going...and going...until my 50 minutes were up! I bet you're wondering if I managed to fit 7k into my run. Well, the answer is no...instead, I ran 7.6k!!!!!!!!! That's (7.6k/50 minutes= 6.57 minutes/kilometer x 1.6=) 10.52 minutes/mile! Appropriately enough, Carl Carlton's "She's a bad mama jama" was the last song!


Ya'll, I can't tell you how great I feel right now! Surely I looked crazy with a huge smile plastered on my face as I took my 5 minute cool down walk. Woohoo! I certainly never thought that I'd have the nerve to run that far a few months ago. But you know what? I did and, with time, I'll keep progressing! Soon enough...26.2 miles will be under my belt and I'll be singing Jay-Z's song "On to the next one!"

Woohoo!!!!

After stretching, I worked on my arms:
  • 3 sets of 15 triceps curls
  • 3 sets of 15 upper back and shoulder exercises (using a machine)
  • 3 sets of 15 triceps push-ups (sit on the side of a bench, slowly lowering myself up and down with arms bent).
As a reward, Couch Potato # 2 (aka Beef-Wellington) and I are going on a nice, long walk! Oh, and since it seems like this running thing isn't going anywhere anytime soon....It's official, my new, personalized iPod nano (touch) is on the way!
Well folks, since I got my long run in today instead of Sunday, I'm telling Beef to "take a hike"...with me. We both deserve it! I'll make sure to take pictures aaaaand post the pics of my seaside run from last weekend!

Until next time, one foot in front of the other! Keep it movin'!!!!!

Yours in (good body) training,

Dani


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go you!!! I'd say "that's amazing," but clearly nothing is beyond you. :-) Have you told Mad Dog yet?
(ps - so glad I read this post this morning - I'm about to try jumping from 6k to 8-something k and I'm nervous!)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails