Friday, September 28, 2012

Really? My last post was in May?!

Hello Dear Reader,

Fuggg...was my last post really in May...as in almost 5 months ago? Well, to be completely honest, I really haven't had that much running related info to share. That, however, doesn't mean that I've been doing nothing...life goes on. What was I doing during my blog hiatus, you ask? Let's do a run down:
  • Wedding planning
  • Working
  • Traveling 
  • Married my Ethiopian/Life Partner
A short list, but a helluva lot of work! True, virtually none of those things really prevent one from running...you just find time for it in the midst of every other task you juggle. The two real barriers for pavement pounding were my toe and a very bitter winter!

Adventures in minimalist running abruptly ended when I banged my big toe one too many times on the uneven Maseru pavement. My nail and toe were so black and blue that I regularly begged my guy to just cut it off before it eventually shriveled up and died on its own. Putting any pressure on i made me wince. Eventually, a fungal infection grew with some type of underlying infection that made it bleed a little. Ha! A few days before my beautiful wedding, all of the ladies (and Doc...remember him?) who made the journey to Ethiopia to support me in my nuptials, went to the spa for a massage, mani and pedi. I was way too embarrassed to let the nail ladies look at my (now) fugly feet. On my wedding day, I specifically instructed the photographer not to take any pictures of my shoes and feet (too bad cause the shoes were really cute). It's probably a good thing I pointed that out, cause at one point during the night, I looked down at my poor nub and saw it was bleeding a bit. I guess that it's a good thing that all of the drama unfolded during the winter months because, damn, it was ridiculously cold and dark in dem streets! It actually may have been the coldest winter I've experienced to date. That is pretty bad! The weather, itself, wasn't actually the barrier, per se, but rather the fact that it was still dark by 7:30 am and dark by 5:30 pm. There was just no way...I just...I just can't!

Alas, springtime is here. The flowers are blooming. It's light enough to run by 5:20 am. I discovered baking during my time off from running. My muscles have atrophied due to lack of use. I cook eat more cause I've got a hubby to feed which also means I have an extra nearly 4kg of winter blubber to work off.

Get off of my arse and run? YES I CAN!

Day 1 of running was a complete disaster. My seggzy pink iPod must have realized this was going to be an epic fail and quit while it was ahead. A few days after my first run...it deserted me I lost it. Now, it must be making new memories with someone else. RIP.

This past Saturday, I willed/threatened/cajoled/motivated/cried/screamed rolled myself our of bed and dug through my closet to find the well hidden running clothes I ignored for an entire winter. Sh*t, my running pants were are so freaking tight! Yeah, I know they're supposed to be snug, but they were nearly stretched beyond the normal limits of a size 2! Tight or not, I slipped those bad boys on, put my shoes on, threw on a hat, and strapped on my Ethiopian's loaner iPod. Oh...oh...wow. Umm...Lord, Jesus, help me! Is this really how a 5km run is supposed to feel after a three month break? There were so many stops and starts that I felt like I was participating in a Couch-to-5km running program...like I was a running virgin! My legs hurt. My breathing was out of control. Why, Lord? Why?!!!

If anything good came out of that horrendous run, it was the motivation to get back to where I once was while being equipped with the knowledge, skills and experience of just how to do it.

Because my whole body (and mind) were sore from that Saturday, I took Sunday and Monday off. I needed a freaking break to recover. Tuesday, however, I got my butt up at about 5 am and was on the road by about 5:15 am. Although still painful and shameful (with so many starts and stops...but not as many as Saturday), I was out there...and that's what counts. Wednesday was a break day. Thursday, I was out on the roads early. Again, while still a challenge, I ran 6 km with no stops. When I got home, I gave myself an internal High5! Soon enough, I'll get where I want to be...and I know how to get there!

This morning, I laid in bed, debating with myself if I should run or make this a break day. I wasn't sore (reality). Don't want to over do it (excuse). I ate a gazillion cupcakes last night (damn baking)...(reality). I can just do it tomorrow (excuse). The reality of my situation and the fact that, if I really want to get better, I need to put in the work to achieve my goal, was the motivation I needed to hit the streets. With an extra kilometer added to today's run (7km), I did it! I'm actually pretty proud of myself. There were several points during the run that tested my willpower. That, however, didn't stop me.

I can do this! I can do this! I can do this! I can do this! I can do this! I AM DOING THIS!

...one foot in front of the other...keep it movin'!

Yours in (willpower) training,

Dani


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails