Saturday, March 3, 2012

I DID NOT SURRENDER

Hello Dear Reader,

With a little help from my friends, I found the drive and determination to get up at 2:30 am, leave the house by 2:50 am, collect my new friend and get on the road by 3:00 am, to make it to Clarens, South Africa by 4:45 am, to register for the "Surrender Hill Half Marathon", which started at 6:00 am. Here's a little description about the race:

Organised by the Bethlehem Marathonklub with 3 options a 42.2km, 21.1km and 5km races. The start is the Martie Lotz Hall on short street, next to the tennis courts.

Starting in Fouriesburg, this is a race with great reward, for the magnificent view of the mountains is both memorable and breathtaking. Surrender Hill is a historical site where more than 4000 Boers, under General Marthinus Prinsloo, surrendered to the British during the Anglo-Boer War.

There are a number of demanding challenges on this route. Make no mistake; this course is tough, at times unrelenting. But during this race, more than almost any other, you will find that the wonderful scenery, coupled with the champagne air, fully compensates for the rigour of a hard marathon. 



Source


Last year, I signed up for this race, but for reasons I fail to remember, I didn't do it. Boy, am I so grateful that I went, even managing to shut out the doubt in my mind about my ability to complete the course at the 2hr 30min cut off time, since I haven't been running consistently. With the power of positive self talk, gumption, and being accompanied by three girls who are serious about running, I completed the tough course in 2 hr and 18 min...only 3 short minutes after the legendary ultra marathon runner girl I reference so much in this blog. 


Sure, I could give you a run down of the race course (it was awesome, but tough as nails). I could also tell you that the same toe I injured a while ago (and subsequently got a fungal nail infection...which also healed) got re-injured (and a nail infection is coming back). I could also note that was probably too much information (although over lunch, the running crew I was with talked about trotters' runs and ugly feet/losing toenails/toe fungal infections). The best part of the trip and the run was that I was able to connect with a pretty awesome chick who also likes to run. For various reasons, we've run (no pun intended) in different circles for a while. There's nothing like a beast of a race to allow those two circles to collide. I look forward to new challenges, new friends, and personal growth!


Me, Ultra Marathoner, New Friend
It was a beast, but we did not surrender to the Surrender Hill Half Marathon





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails