Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mixing it up a bit...family fun and hiking

Hello Dear Reader,

Over the past couple of days, I've been coming down from the high of my soon-to-be-sister-in-law's nearly two week visit and the relocation of my main squeeze down to the Mountain Kingdom. To "keep it real" with you, time spent at the gym and early morning runs were not as strong as I would have hoped. Hiking up mountains and lots of weekend family fun time, however, were at an all time high!

The weekend that my two Ethiopians arrived, we headed straight to the Malealea Lodge for pony trekking and hiking! As soon as we parked the car, we were off for a 3.5 hour hike up and down mountains, climbing up steep rocks, and sliding (me...by accident) in mud and streams. My urban-bound Ethiopians managed to stay dry the entire time (don't know how that happened). Because it was just that much fun (read: all of the other lodges were fully booked and I didn't want to spend the weekend playing "Angry Bird" on the iPad (him) or on Facebook (her)), we went back to Malealea the following weekend. Initially, I was unsure we would have a good time at the same lodge, two weekends in a row, and my companions were hella reluctant to go again. In the end, so much fun was had by all, we were all able to work up a sweat, and spent some of the best, quality family time!



Stunning!

After scaling a crazy steep hill! Pooped!

Embracing the inner child!

After seeing the fun, she joined in!

Not to be left out, he got his jump on!

Trip 2: Hike down to see the bushman paintings!



...soon enough all of my Ethiopian's residence and visitor's visas will be worked out so that we can go into South Africa for weekend races. Oh, on one of our hikes, my guy said he was really interested in going to some of the races with me. He even said that, if there were 10k's, he'd run those while I get my fill of the 1/2's!

Until next time...put on foot in front of the other....and keep it movin'!

Yours in (still getting there) training,

Dani


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails