Monday, April 23, 2012

Adventures in Minimalist Running

Hello Dear Reader,

Some people  dream of high heel shoes, and the others (even if they have been rather flaky with their running) have constant thoughts of minimalist running shoes (and sometimes eye glass boutiques, but that's another story). As I've mentioned in previous posts, I think it's time for some new running shoes, and have strongly been considering minimalist/barefoot running shoes. I found a running specialty shoe store in Joburg, but I'd have to wait until sometime in May to go up there and explore this sexy shoe store. After posting a status update on FB about my desire to try minimalist/barefoot running, a lady I know informed me that she found a well respected brand of minimalist shoes- Merrell- at the local mall. Doubting that I'd find such a shoe in Maseru, I resolved that I'd rather wait for my destined trip to Joburg.

This weekend, prior to catching a movie with my Ethiopian sweetie pie, I stopped into the aforementioned store to pay our DSTV account. My sweetie saw some shoes that he'd been eyeing this past weekend during a day trip to Bloemfontein. Next to said shoes were the Merrell minimalist shoes for men. Wow, unicorns really do exist! I asked the sales lady if they had the same shoes for ladies and she said no initially, but then consulted with another sales lady who said that, in fact, the women's version was available. My heart was racing as I speed-walked to the other side of the store. Yes, the Merrell women's "barefoot" shoes were there. Yes, they had several sizes that could fit. YES, I found a pair that fit my boats like a fresh coat of paint! YES!!! Adventures in minimalist running! Ain't nothin's gonna stop me now! Yes!

If I may take you back a few days: On Friday, after a great deal of consideration and motivation from my oxen-like friend, I decided to pull out an 18-week marathon training program that I'd printed out a while ago. I found a race (Wilge Spring Marathon on August 25th) that I'm committing to running, put dates to the 18 weeks of training, and vowed that Sunday was the day to start my training program.

Unexpectedly finding my minimalist running shoes was just the treat I needed to kick off my marathon training (part deux). As soon as church and Sunday morning grocery shopping were complete, I threw my running clothes on, along with my funky purple Merrell "Women's Barefoot Train Lithe Glove" shoes.  Out on my regular course, I went. Can I just say that "minimalist" running is a new ball game. Wow, I felt rather awkward, like I was, once again, a running virgin. It seems as if everything was slightly off than normal as my body adjusted to running in new form. Normally, I keep my arms pretty relaxed while running. With my new shoes, I had to constantly readjust my arms and remind myself to drop my shoulders. With my normal running shoes, I am used to having a noticeable heel strike that I work on correcting. With my new shoes, I felt almost as if I were leaping as my mid-foot (ball) struck first with a much softer heel strike. Certainly, there was more contact with the ground, which made me much more aware of the surfaces I'm running on. Overall, I do believe I worked a bit harder in the minimalist shoes, and as a result, felt tired (yet fulfilled) at the end of my run. I'd say that my first attempt at minimalist running was a giant success and a great way to change up the pace as I enter into my new training program. My hopes are that I'll experience fewer incidents of shin discomfort and improve my strength/form/endurance. Hopefully, consistent running, dedication and my purple miracles will be the answer (more like the first two, but cute shoes couldn't hurt!).

Do you have any experiences with minimalist and/or barefoot running? What were some tips to help you improve your form and foot strike? Any advice for this new minimalist runner (can I call myself that yet?)?

...Until next time...one foot in front of the other...keep in movin'!

Yours in (minimalist) training,

Dani



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails