Monday, April 30, 2012

Marathon Training Revival

Hello Dear Reader,

With a pep in my step, courtesy of my new running shoes, the first week of marathon training (part deux) was a success! I made sure to get all of my requisite runs in for the week and that, alone, felt great! I really do believe that this time around, I'll manage to stick to the plan of 18 weeks worth of running and cross-fit training.

Last week, I didn't do any cross-training, but considered my options for how I'll fill that slot in my training schedule (earmarked for Tuesdays and Thursdays). Thus far, I've reached out to New (old) Trainer to see what his availability is for those days. I also have plans to go up to one of the local hotels to inquire about engaging a trainer for the duration of my training schedule in case New (old) Trainer is booked. If all else fails, I'm going to see if there are any swimming instructors at the gym. Just a moment on this point...I love being in and around water- I'm a Pisces after all. Unlike the dear fish, however, I actually hate swimming or being in the water for a purpose. To me, swimming should be for floating around (preferably with an adult beverage in hand and a comfortable flotation device nearby) like a piece of driftwood. Although I'd rather just do the dead man float, I do believe that swimming is one of the best aerobic exercises one can do. So like I said, if I can't do weight training like I'm hoping to do (and stick with), swimming will be the next best option.

To further ensure the sustainability of my morning runs (particularly considering the late sunrises and early sunsets), I put an ad out in the local expat email-newsletter to find a partner. Gasp! Yes, I am the same girl who scoffed at the idea of running partners. I've changed my ways. I'm growing. I'm desperate! This morning, I even got a call from a lady who runs with a partner in the mornings. She even said the magic words: "I'd like to eventually train for a marathon." Did the heavens just drop down to send me an angel? We shall see. We're supposed to meet up tomorrow for a run.

Last but not least, I just wanted to thank the Merrell Barefoot Running Shoe gods for inventing my shoes. They are awesome. Immediately when first trying the shoes out, I could tell that my running form was different. Also, post run, my calf muscles and feet were a bit more sore than normal. With the exception of one running outing, I have been relying on my minimalist shoes. Going back to my traditional sneakers, I experienced a noticeable shift in my running form and the level of effort I put in to complete the same course. I felt as if I worked harder and "got more out of" my runs whist wearing the minimalist shoes. Minimalist shoes it is! I have even been exploring running without socks, which is going well thus far.

So there you have it folks- a revival in my running spirit! I've found 2 half marathons I'm planning to enter: Interstate Busline (May 5th) and the South African Pork Kwai (May 13th). Unless something better comes up between now and August, I'll be running one of the first full marathons of the season (Wilge Spring Marathon- August 25th). My super cute Ethiopian is even considering joining the gym and is planning to get a physical before he joins me in some of my running adventures (as a participant)!

Until next time...one foot in front of the other...keep it movin'!

Yours in (finally...marathon) training,

Dani

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails