Tuesday, October 19, 2010

B*tch & Moan! Now back to work!

Dear Reader,

I'm back and in full effect! Thank you all (especially Linesiya) for giving me the pep talks that I needed to get my act together and get my a$$ back in the gym! Sometimes having a b*tch and moan session is just what I need to put things into perspective...prioritize my goals...and get back to work!

Yesterday, after work, with gym clothes in hand, I headed to the gym to test out the new pact made between my ankle and the pavement/treadmill (pavement/treadmill to ankle: If you act right, I'll take you places). Slowly, slowly, I inched closer to the treadmill trying to convince myself that my ankle wouldn't crumble the moment I suggested anything over a snail's pace. With an interval program and an 8.7 setting (slightly slower than usual), I hit start...and off I went...for a good 35 minutes...with only the slightest discomfort! Could it be true? A week off and a little bit of rest can make my poor little ankle happy(ish)? Woohoo!!! I'm baaaaaaack (kinda)! Mad-dog trainer gave me the side-eye and told me not to over do it.

A nice "back in the game" run last night was all I needed to get me out of bed at 5:15 this morning and into the gym. Random and not so random people greeted me...asking where I'd been all last week and checking on my ankle. A lady I'd never spoken to before, but see regularly, approached me and said she was happy to see me back in the gym...she thought I had given up on my training. Even gym hottie welcomed me back with a wave and a smile! Clearly this only happens in a small town (small fish in a small pond).

New (old) Trainer told me I had a lot of catching up to do. He made me work out as if I were going to complete the make up work in one session...and boy did it feel great!

Well that's all for now...I need to put some work into making up for my missed "Legs Love Lunges Challenge" days!

Until next time...keep it movin' (that's what I'm doing!)!!!

Yours in (back in the habit) training,

Dani

P.S. I'm sure that I'm late in the game...but recently, the much beloved Sesame Street television program devoted a character and a song to promoting positive body images amongst Black girls...a cohort often left out of the conversation (which conversation? all of them!) The character and song resonate with me because it is of a Black girl who expresses her love of her "natural hair" (no perm to make it straight, not worried about not looking like everyone else, etc.). The discourse regarding Black women and hair is a deep/long/varied conversation steeped in history. Since this isn't a curly girl/Black hair blog...I won't go into the details...but to join/learn about the conversation, here are a few sites to check out:

(and the list goes on...but this is a start!)

There's a Black hair revolution out there...check it out!!!!

...and without further ado...."I love my hair!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails