Monday, October 25, 2010

Personal Needs Assessment

Hello Dear Reader,

Of late, I've been re-assessing my overall training needs: running schedule, coaching needs, and overall motivation/determination. Preliminary results from said needs assessment have lead me to believe that I need to revamp my training plan. As I mentioned a few posts ago, I want to step up my workout schedule to include a Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday running schedule. Tuesdays and Thursdays will be reserved for strength training. Furthermore, on the M/W/F plan, I'd like to run for an hour each day.

With all of this additional running time, I started to consider my coaching needs. Do I really need two trainers? Do I really need/want to have someone standing next to me for an hour (doing what I don't know...hopefully not talking to me) while I run? As I've said before, I'm not really a fan of people talking to me while I run...not good for the focus I need to keep going beyond the first 1.6k (1 mile)...I like to zone out. So, after a bit of close consideration, I think I've come to a decision: Let my credit expire with Mad-dog Trainer and start working with New (old) Trainer on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I think that New (old) Trainer will be of most help since his passion is really strength training, whereas Mad-dog is more of a general fitness coach. I've always thought that New (old) Trainer secretly has plans to enter me into a female body building competition. Working with him two days a week focusing on toning will balance my 4 intense days of cardio. Sound good to you? Sounds good to me! Now let's put our hands in the middle...on the count of three...one...two...three...Break!

****And "Break" I did! The first half of this post was written early in the morning (since I failed to get out of bed in time for my 5:30 am appointment with the gym and Mad-dog Trainer***

Now that I have a new plan and increased motivation/determination to see this plan through, I made sure to hit the gym after a long day at work. My running goal for today: 10 k in 1 hour and 10 minutes (which I didn't manage to do on Sunday since I was in recovery mode from the concert on Saturday). P.S: A special thanks to Linesiya for motivating me (threatening me if I didn't) to push for my goal by sending me cool messages throughout the day! Ok...back to the running goal. Go ahead, ask me who managed to run 10.6k (6.625 miles) in 1 hour and 6 minutes. Go ahead...it's ok...ask away! Woohoo!!!!! I feel super fantastic! And by that I mean super-fantastic-feel-like-I can-do-just-about-anything-maybe-even-run-for-another-30-minutes-no-that's-just-crazy-but-I-still-feel-amazingly-fit-and-feeling-fine-as-wine!!!! I nailed it!

Whew...got that out of my system!

Since tomorrow is another day and the next day is yet another day, I'll be excited for now but not rest on this accomplishment alone. I've got BIG plans, Dear Reader! ...And lest I forget...I still have 31.32 miles left to train for!

I want to do it! I can do it! I will do it! Hopefully, you'll come along for the run!

Until next time...one foot in front of the other...keep it movin'!

Yours in training,

Dani

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails