Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Reality strikes back

Hello Dear Reader,

As mentioned in previous posts, the plan was to complete the Soweto Marathon, which took place this past Sunday. Also, in previous posts, I acknowledged the lack of structure I've had in my 'training plan' over the last few months. The reality of an approaching marathon, with little training, caught up to me a week before the event. That little reality check helped me to realize that there was no way (no how) that I would be prepared in time without hurting myself. Long story short- I didn't run the Soweto Marathon. Go ahead...cry about it! Beat your fists on the wall in anguish! Just let it all out!

...Ok, are we done now? Have we learned to accept the reality? Cool, now let us continue...

While the Soweto Marathon was my running goal, I'm actually not too bummed out about not having achieved it. I've always looked at this running thing as a lifestyle change, a way to get healthy, an opportunity for 'me time', and a way to have pure d fun. While it most certainly has been that for me, of late, there have been a few other things dominating my focus. Unfortudamente, training for a marathon has not been part of that focus. Wait...wait...don't get me wrong...I'm not saying that I've been sitting on my bum...oh no...I've been running...just not as intensively as required for 26.2 miles.

...So since we've gotten that out of the way...let me tell you about some fun things I've been up to.

Remember I told you about a friend of mine who claims I've inspired him to get his health-act together? Yes, I'm happy to report that he's still at it...over 10 weeks of get-it-right-get-it-tight training! AWESOME! In that time amount of time (he's been working out at the gym, running on the rat wheel, and eating healthier), my dear friend has managed to lose 12 kg (~ 26.4 lbs)! What a remarkable achievement!

Recently, we were talking about how he feels that he might have hit a weight loss plateau. The suggested solution: trying to convince him of the wonders of outside running (new challenge, FREE, etc). Two weekends ago, he finally hit the pavement in the Pink Race 10km for breast cancer awareness. Initially, he was going to run the 5km fun run, but that iron will of his pushed him through all the way to the finish line of the 10km race!

Even greater persistence was required on my part to convinced him to take run one of his long runs outside. "Break the tether to the rat wheel!", I said! Let's just say that the tether is showing signs of wear and tear! This Sunday, with yours truly as the course marker, we ran 8 miles around the city of Maseru...his longest run yet! I tell ya, this guy is inspiring me! While the good news is all his, I was happy that the run was easy breezy for me. I could have continued to run more...not sore...not tired...just feeling great that I could support my friend...and all of this without running that distance for a minute!

Returning to my house after the run, for stretching and a cup of chilled apple juice, my friend confessed that he is ready for an even greater challenge...a half marathon! What What! Yes! His go-get-it-ness motivated me to get my act together and complete my running goal of running a 26.2 miler. This idea just so happened to coincide with an email I received to inform me that registration for the Ottosdal Draf en Trap night race will be taking place on January 28th...just enough time for me to prepare! If you remember, I ran the half last year and it was one of the best, if not the best half I've run to date! Instead of running the half (my friend will, however), I'm going to run the full race...in the dark! To ensure my participation, I'm going to register and pay the entry fee over lunch! Yep...putting my money where my mouth is. My friend has already done so...I'm so proud of him and need to let his energy and enthusiasm catalyze me! In fact, I informed my parents about the upcoming race. My dad even booked it in his calendar.

If the aforementioned isn't already exciting enough, my same friend asked if I could give him a ride to Jozi this weekend. While I love Joburg well enough and helping out a friend in need is a pleasure indeed (sorry for the rhyme), I needed that extra motivation to drive 4.5 hrs one way. ...Yes, you guessed it...I found a race on Saturday morning. This Saturday, I will be running the Liquifruit Irene Half Marathon and my friend (who is a beast) will be running the associated 10km!

And just piling on the good news- for many months, I've received emails from a group of ex-pats (The Hash House Harriers) about Monday Hash Runs. Because I'm not so into the expat scene, I've done my best to avoid them at all costs. Yesterday morning, however, my "boss" came into my office and said, "I'm setting the Hash Run today. So you're coming, right? Ok, see you later", and that was that. Just a little on Hashing Runs: the run organizer sets up a running course, but you have to figure out the route. Markers are left around for your group to find the path, however, markers are also set out to throw you off and lead you in the wrong direction. Long story short...it was lots of fun, I managed to get 5 miles worth of running in, and I've now found my new after work hobby.

Whew! That was a lot of information jam-packed in this tiny blog post! To not overwhelm you further, I'll end it here. But before I take leave, I have to (once again) thank you so much for all of your love and support as I am to make exercise a permanent lifestyle change!

So until next time...put on foot in front of the other...keep it movin'!

Yours in (re-focusing) training,

Dani

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails