Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A different experience

Hello Dear Reader,

Yep, I was pounding the pavement this morning at 5:15 am. My normal interaction with the central business district is limited to a mad dash in and out/people walking this way and that way/drivers (sometimes) making up their own rules of the road as they go. This symphony of cars and people runs its course throughout the day, and as if on cue (6:00 pm), there is a dull silence. Everyone pours out of the city to return to their respective neighborhoods. The city is left barren, save for a few hangers-on. Hours will pass until a new, party-driven set takes their place in the song that is Maseru.

Pre-work hours Maseru is a different story- quiet, inviting, vulnerable, empty (until 6 am when street-side vendors begin setting up). In the past two days, I have become intimately involved with this Maseru...running through its streets...up and down its familiar terrain...this time fully appreciating its many curves. True, I've seen the solitude of pre-work hours Maseru whilst driving to and from the gym, but running its streets is a totally different experience.

During today's 5.6k run, I saw small things that I've failed to notice while in my car- the stone detailing of the police station, the exchange of night time and daytime employees, little purple flowers springing up from cracks in the sidewalk- just to name a few. These things (and those yet to be noticed)are what I've been missing during my time spent within the gym's four walls. I've missed out on getting to see Maseru wake up and transition from winter to spring/summer.

Running outside is definitely kicking my a$$. The hills (we are the mountain kingdom after all) have made me submit...reminded me that my running experience has been tethered to a treadmill. My leg muscles are sore just as they were when I first started this whole running business back in August. Sore legs, however, are my reward for getting to know the city I call home.

I look forward to exploring the streets of Maseru and learning new things as I plod along. Additionally, I am excited to earn my right to be called a runner!

Well, that's all I have for now.

Until next time...one foot in front of the other...keep it movin'!

Yours in training,

Dani

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! You're back!
Downtime sucks - especially endorphin withdrawal. But sounds like you're back on track and kicking ass!
I love the little details when running outside. Especially right now here, with all the leaves falling and Halloween decorations still out. Plus you get to run TO somewhere. Today I'm doing my 8.2k to visit my duckpond for the last time. :-)
Keep running strong! And if you do the half, get someone to take pictures!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails