Monday, November 8, 2010

Hiatus

Hello Dear Reader,

It feels like forever since I last updated my little running blog. To make a long story short, last weekend, I noticed that my left foot and ankle were swollen...this after a long weekend spent at a traditional South African wedding ceremony (read: lots and lots of dancing and walking around on high heels). That is where my running story ended (for the past week). Other than a 30 minute run last Saturday, I've done nothing. Nothing. Nothing involving working out or running. Although my ankle needed...demanded a break, I still felt bad about all of the nothingness I did.

Life back on the couch is not me any more...but there I found myself every day after work. The days of waking up at 5 am seemed to be in the distant past (even though my R&R was only for a week). Although waking up at 2 am to Couch Potato's heavy breathing and midnight pacing (he contracted biliary- a disease transmitted by ticks) became a routine. Frustration mounted each and every time someone asked about my run. No, I didn't run today...my ankle is sore. No, I didn't go to the gym (no excuses here).

Although no actual running took place over the course of the week, my psyche was clearly consumed with guilt for not making any progress with my running. All of my dreams (that I can remember) were focused on running (talking to others about it, running, planning to run, etc.). My waking hours were spent avoiding anything running related- conversations, minimal runner blog stalking, the seemingly gazillions of runners I drove past all week (it's marathon season!), this blog...sad, I know.

On Friday, I made the decision to take an impromptu road trip to visit a few of my friends. One of the last things to go in the bag...my trusty Nike running shoes and jazzy (yet neglected) pink iPod. Running inspiration would surely come, right?

All day Saturday, whilst hanging out with friends, I'd walk or drive past smiling/focused/sweating/running runners (emphasis on the running). Almost as if it knew what I was thinking, my ankle would twinge with pain (or rather discomfort) to remind me of why I was banished back to the couch. My eyes would be averted and an internal tear would trickle from my mind's eye. Lame!

Sunday morning, I woke up at 4:45 am. Staring at the ceiling, I laid in bed for a good 30 minutes debating whether or not I should lace up my sneaks and get out there. My restless legs got the best of me and I pounded the pavement for 40 minutes. The area of town I was in is relatively flat with slight inclines, so it was a nice reintroduction. After a nice run and a good sweat, I felt like I might be back in business.

A lesson that I learned a while ago, which was re-enforced during my run, is that I need to get out of the gym and onto the road. The road requires a lot more energy and effort than the treadmill. True, the treadmill is a great introduction to running...helping a non-runner turn into a runner wannabe... For me, the treadmill vs pavement pounding is comparable to a bike with training wheels vs a 10-speeder. Dear Reader, it's time for me to take the training wheels off.

In the spirit of my re-enforced lesson learned, this morning, I hit the road at a little before 5:30 am. The summer season allows for complete daylight by 5 am (not nice if you want to sleep in...but I digress) so I felt completely safe. In about 1 hour and 15 minutes, I ran/walked 9.4 k (5.8 miles). Hills of varying sizes at regular intervals (unlike the incline of the treadmill) slowed me down quite a bit...even more reason to get out of the gym. So, from hence forward, I'll be running outside on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Gym time will be reserved for Tuesdays and Thursdays.

On another note, every time my ankle seems to swell it is on a Saturday...(read: dancing for hours on end). I will do my best to respect my training schedule enough to dance for shorter periods of time on my "off days". Also, I will take time to ice my ankle after each run. I didn't do this today, but will from now on. I need to make a commitment to ice...and stick with it.

The combination of running outside more and having ice blocks for feet should be the right combination that will keep me in the game! I'm super behind on my running schedule, which has delayed the chances of entering several races I've had my eye on. Hopefully, by the 20th, I'll be in good enough shape to walk/run in a half marathon. This might be pushing it since I've only run just over 10 k...but I have a little bit of time to prep to add 4 or 5 k and I'm not ashamed of walking!

Well, that's all for now folks...I'll keep you updated on my progress...and I will keep my fingers crossed that there's A LOT of progress!

(Trying to) Keep it movin'!

Yours in training,

Dani

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails